Summer Leadership Academy, South Carolina
The inaugural Carolina Summer Academy took place at Palmetto Bluff resort in Bluffton, SC. After a competitive application process, selected participants were hosted free of charge for five days and four nights and engaged in vigorous intellectual exchange with award-winning scholars and speakers from around the world and from right here in the Carolinas. In particular, we focused on thinking deeply about and strengthening the twin pillars of the American experiment in self-government: liberty and virtue. Cultural activities also featured the history, art, music, and literature of the Carolinas!
Courses were taught by top-quality scholars and teachers from around the world, including:
- Bruce Caldwell (Professor of economics and Director, Center for the History of Political Economy at Duke University)
- William DeMars (Professor and Chair, Department of Government at Wofford College)
- Roger Pilon (Director of the Center for Constitutional Studies at the Cato Institute in Washington, DC)
- Juliana Geran Pilon (Professor and Director, Center for Culture and Security at the Institute of World Politics, Washington, DC)
- Sam Potolicchio (Visiting Assistant Professor at Georgetown University; named one of 300 Best Professors by the Princeton Review)
- Melvin Schut (Assistant Professor of philosophy at Amsterdam University College)
- Roger Scruton (Visiting Professor at Oxford University and Senior Fellow at the Ethics & Public Policy Center in Washington, DC)
Academic Courses include:Politics / Philosophy – “Ideas Have Consequences: A Tour of Western Thought” – “The First Principles of Liberty” – “Was Lincoln the Father of Big Government?” – “The Nature of Rights: Can Human Rights be Created?” – “The Limits of Democracy: Tocqueville on Freedom and Virtue” – “American Statecraft and National Security: Challenges and Opportunities in the 21st Century” – “Conservatism, Liberalism, and the Progressive Transformation of American Politics” Economics – “Freedom and Markets: The Clash of Economic Ideas” – “Friedrich von Hayek and the Austrian Tradition of Economics” – “Property Rights: The Key to Prosperity” – “Entrepreneurship: From Theory to Practice” – “Work, Opportunity, and Dignity in Proper Perspective” Culture / Society – “Art, Architecture, and Music in Modern Life” – “Why Beauty Matters” – “Wonderful, Troubled Waters: Race, Class, and History in the American South” – “The American Tradition of Religious Liberty” – “Shifting Definitions of Life, Liberty, and Love” – “Globalization: Constant Change, Enduring truths” Practical Sessions & Workshops include: – “Virtues of Leadership: Statesmanship profiles” – “Managing Yourself: The Challenge of a lifetime” – “Public Speaking: Mastering the Art of Persuasion” – “Writing Workshop: Making Arguments that Make Sense” – “South Carolina and U.S. Federalism: Education Reform Essentials” – “Constitution drafting convention simulation” *Plus nightly cultural and social events featuring the history, art, music, and literature of the Carolinas!
The inaugural Carolina Summer Academy was sponsored in part by: